12.30.2011

holiday catch-up

Yikes - long time no post!

The cross season finished up well - I had one last race after Provincials, and even though I was done with the training, I was looking forward to getting one more race in. Bonus: it was cold and rainy... after a season of dry, fast races (including a few warm enough for short sleeves!), I think a few of us were excited about the potential for some bad weather at a race... by which I actually mean great cross weather. I don't think anyone had a good start - no one seemed ready when the whistle blew! I was still tightening my shoes, but I got going pretty quickly, and made it to the front of the group. I led for most of the first lap, until Julie passed me just before the sandpit. I got around her again when she took a downhill corner too wide and accidentally pitted, but half a lap later, our game of cat and mouse was over - she passed me on a downhill corner (note to self: protect the inside of the corner!), and pulled away. I gave chase for a while, actually just tried to stay away from the Masters women breathing down my neck. I got a bit worried about getting caught and put in a dig for a fast lap. Apparently it worked, as I managed to take a minute off my lap time for a six-minute lap. Unfortunately, I paid for it on the next lap, taking 8 minutes! It was great to finish the race in second, felt like I worked hard for it.

After that, it was time off! I spent most of December off, just trying to keep up at work. The Boy and I had big plans to bring the mountain bikes out west for Christmas, but an unfortunate dooring incident involving the Boy meant we were leaving the bikes in Toronto.

Christmas in Victoria is always a good time. Lots of family time, and some traditions I absolutely love! Santa brought me a new camera, so hopefully that means an improvement in blog-photography for the new year!

I got to run errands around town in my dad's new car - an electric Nissan Leaf! Really smooth drive, and it always got a lot of looks. Plus, you get to plug it in at the end of the day.

We normally make individual mini gingerbread houses, which we, of course, take seriously.

Spent the last few days in Squamish, where I took a turn at making a holiday dinner.  Chicken, stuffing, brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes.

We spotted a sea lion while out looking for eagles (seeing him was more exciting than the photo of a small head bobbing in the water). Lots of eagles were out as well!
 Back in Toronto now. Looking forward to a relaxing New Years eve, recovering from the holidays, and we're all set for 2012!

No comments: