9.27.2011

ooooh, cross

First cross race of 2011 is in the books!

Last year, my first race after finishing the 8-hr in Quebec was terrible. I don't want to relive it here - that's what the archives are for - but let me tell you that a long endurance event did not set me up well for 50min of suffering.

This year, I definitely felt better after the 8-hr (thank you, front suspension!). And I tried to get out on the bike and for a run in the intervening week. I even practiced dismounts and remounts the day before... oh man, was I rusty! I decided that my definition of success for race day would be if I didn't trip and land on my face.

Race day, and it was really, really hot. I unzipped my jersey, and now see from the photos that I had a bit of a Paola Pezzo thing going on. With apologies to those who think cycling races should be family-friendly, I promise to race in more modest attire in the coming weeks!



Success - on more than one level! The start was fast and it was hard to hold my position, but as the race unfolded, I felt pretty good. I felt strong when I needed power, and made the most of out of the long flat sections. The run up and barriers were killing me, but it still wasn't that bad. I had a good battle going with Lori and Julie for a couple of laps before they pulled away. With about 2 to go, I could see Leigh just ahead, and lucky for me, we were heading for the long power section. I gave it everything I had to pass and take the lead - unfortunately, when that effort proved to be too much, Leigh was on my wheel and passed me easily. I ended up in 4th for Senior Women, and totally humbled by the speed of some of the Master Women, too. Some fast ladies!

No comments: