10.08.2011

Hillbilly Hustle

Last weekend started with a quick trip to Muskoka. We had some event-planning business to attend to. As any time we are in the area, we swung by Buckwallow. The Boy visited with Mike while I did a quick spin. The Boy thinks I may be one of the first to ride a cross bike at Bucky. It was... challenging, to say the least! Despite sticking to the double track and easier single track, but those skinny tires are not a great match for those roots and rocks. I think the hairiest moment was coming down one of the rocks on Missing Link, and realizing just how crappy canti brakes are. It was still super fun, and I certainly got a couple of good looks on the trails from people on somewhat bigger bikes.

Because racing the next day was up in Duntroon, we opted to stay over in Collingwood. We even stayed at the Mariner Motor Hotel, aka, that place with free breakfast and bunnies in the yard across the street.

Hillbilly day came, and it was cold and windy. I got in one lap before the 10am race - just enough to check out the course and confirm that my mega-squealy brakes needed further adjustment. A bit of bike work from the Boy, which downgraded my brakes to just plain squealy, and I got in a few more laps prior to the start. It was a good course for me - lots of good power sections on the top of the plateau. A bit of fun single track, and nice long downhill, and then a fun little over-under flyover before the last few fast corners. I was loving the second half of the course, where it felt like you were just flying.

My start was not great, and I gave up a few spots from my second row start. By the time we hit the gravel climb, I decided I needed to move up. Picked a line on the far left - some may say gutter - and motored my way up to get back to the front of the pack. Or, what was left of it. I think by now, Amanda had taken off to work her way through the Master men's field, and Julie and Michelle were also off on their own. I tried to sit in on Lori's wheel for a bit in the wind, which was really quite ridiculous considering how much smaller she is. At the barriers, I gave an extra push to get back on the bike and on the gas before her, creating a small gap as we headed to the single track. I pretty much spent the rest of the race in no-man's land - steadily working on lengthening the gap on the girls behind me where Jamie and Lori were riding together, and watching the gap in front get just a bit bigger each lap. Picked off a few Master men, and rolled in for 4th overall and 3rd Senior woman.

The downside was having to do the podium out in the rain. Total worth it, however, for the chocolate in my prize! Then it was out to spectate and help out, wearing as many layers as possible. I think it's time for a new umbrella...

The Boy was racing in the rain, and the temperature seemed to drop. Even though he forgot to sign in and forgot to pin his numbers, he settled in and was having a fantastic race. The slippery conditions were great for him. The rain and cold, however, were not, and he had to pack it in when he couldn't feel his hands anymore. I've seen him get those kind of chills before, so I bought a tea and brought it to the men's changeroom to help him warm up. I just called from the door, since I knew there were a few others who had DNF:ed in there, but apparently getting personal tea service to the changeroom still got a few giggles from the others.

Love the Hillbilly Hustle. Last year was the only year I did not do the Hustle - can't remember why, but it was cold and snowy, this year was cold and rainy and it was great to be back!

No comments: