10.28.2011

baseball cross

Sunday saw a bright and early departure for the drive up to Barrie. When Mike and I pulled into the lot, we got out of the rental (a Fiat 500), and a woman walking by said "I can't believe you fit a bike in the back!" Actually, 2!

Mike races at 10, so I was there with plenty of time to get signed in, check out the course, and get warmed up. Which was good because it was a bit frosty when we first arrived. Thank goodness for sunshine - it all melted pretty quickly, and I ended up racing in shorts and short sleeves! The course was a great mix of surfaces, and lots of fast, flowy corners. Some gravel sections, a bit of mud, and a large dirt hill - rideable, unless you were stuck in traffic or someone went down in front of you.

I also have to give a huge thanks to Brad for sorting out a shifter problem I was having, about 5 minutes before the start.

I had a great start, and was sitting comfortably in the front group through the first lap. There was a bit of traffic on the hill - even though I was in 4th wheel when we got there, I didn't have as much momentum as I had used in practice. I stalled partway up and had to get up and run. Apologies to anyone behind me, as I'm pretty sure this was part of a big chain reaction right down the hill that split the group up! I got into chase-mode, and within a lap and a half, I had moved up to third, on Leigh's wheel, with Laura ahead off the front. Leigh and I spent the next 4 laps going back and forth! It was probably the most tactical and closest race I've had in a long time. I could never make any of my little attacks stick, and ultimately, couldn't stay in front when it really mattered. Leigh got around me on the inside on the second to last corner, and I couldn't make up enough ground in the sprint.

The excitement of such a close race stuck with me for a couple of days, and I was feeling excited and motivated all week. Well, at least until it was time for my workout tonight, and I suddenly felt way less motivated!

(This week's photos courtesy of Rob MacEwen, who took such great shots, I might just hire him to follow me and photograph me all the time.)

1 comment:

sunshineprincess said...

you rocked that course!!!