10.17.2011

the mountain bike season

A quick post, with some thoughts on my 2011 mountain bike season.

In 20 words or less: it was awesome!

The longer version:
I started out by upgrading to Expert women - a move I was hesitant to make, as I wasn't sure if I was ready for the move. In 3 years of racing Sport, I'd only managed one win, and I knew my technical skills still had a ways to go. On the other hand, I felt ready to push myself a bit, and thought the extra lap would be fun. In retrospect, moving up was the best decision for me! The Senior Ex category is small but mighty, and it was exciting to have such close races and tight competition all the time. Certainly motivating! I ended the season in 4th overall, with a string of 3rds and 4ths throughout the season.

Another (unexpected) bonus was that I managed enough upgrade points to move up again. I am still in the "optional upgrade" crowd, and have no plans to go to Elite for 2012, it is exciting to think that someone (or some formula) think I am ready!

I also got a new bike this year. People often ask how I like having front suspension, and I tell them excitedly how much I love it. You know what I love just as much - possibly more? Disc brakes! Let me tell you - reliable and strong brakes are amaaaazing! While a part of me is sad to no longer be riding the retro brakes, most of me is excited about decent stopping power.

The other thing that made my mountain bike season so much fun is that I pushed my boundaries, and think I really improved my skills (which, admittedly, still have a ways to go). I made a couple of trips to Buckwallow by myself, or with friends I don't normally go with - perfect for practicing stuff on my own, or trying out the trails that I always think are "too hard for me". I followed Rachael's "3 tries and then move on" rule each time I was in the Don, and with many coached sessions (with very patient riding partners), started conquering a few more log piles and bridges. I pre-rode races with different people, was more patient with myself, and as a consequence, had fewer "oh my god, I totally suck" trail-side tears. Oh, and I rode with my sisters in Oregon, and had so much fun!


Basically, I really just can't wait to do it all over again next year!

(No race report, since I didn't do any cross racing. The Boy and I went to Buckwallow for one last ride before they close in two weeks to join the Boy's team for a group ride.)

No comments: