Overall, we were gone for 19 days, rode 550km (mix of cycle-touring, cyclosportives, and smaller group rides), and mostly had the coldest weather I could imagine (just above freezing, but so grateful it didn't rain until our last day!). Our trip could pretty much be be divided into three parts, with plenty of highlights and adventures.
- Amazing scenery, with few trees and high of winds
- Lots of time relaxing in naturally-heated hot tubs
- Driving the Golden Circle route, to see waterfalls, geysirs, and ponies
Europe & sightseeing
- Wandering around in Amsterdam
- Amazing bike paths riding to Rotterdam
Bike race madness
- Tour of Flanders Sportive
- watching Tour of Flanders
- Scheleprijs (I got Fabian Cancellara's autograph!)
- Paris-Roubaix Challenge
- Paris-Roubaix live from the velodrome
- cobbles and hills and general fun on the bike
One of the major highlights was staying at The ChainStay, in Oudenaarde. For a couple of cyclists, we could not have found somewhere that fit for us better during their Spring Classics "Bed Bike & Breakfast". Great food, group rides on most days, a well-stocked beer fridge and staying with a group of like-minded people, all there to take in the bike races. Did I mention the full bike room, the awesome hosts, Gregg and Holly, and being right in the thick of the legendary cobbles and climbs? We also used Airbnb for our first stop in Amsterdam, and our time in Lille - both cases, we had great apartments with tonnes of space. I'll definitely be looking into options through Airbnb for future trips, too!