7.19.2011

race report - O Cup 5, Buckwallow

This year, I pretty excited to race at Buckwallow. Since the Boy and I go a few times a year, I've learned to really enjoy it, rather than being as intimidated as I was the first time I was there. Plus (in case you've already forgotten!) - new bike. With front suspension! I was excited to try it out on the rocks, and to see test myself on the more technical trails.

At the same time, I was not excited to race that weekend, because I had just returned from my trip, and was tired, jetlagged, and missed being home.

Saturday was pre-ride, and I rode most of it with the Fishers, who helped me a lot in picking lines and practicing stuff. It was a good pace, and Lee helped me a tonne by bossing me around until I got something. I think my favorite quote from her was "You're so chicken! No, go back, do that again!" It honestly helped. I did one full lap, and then Lee and I did the first and last sections of single track (Loam Rider & Moose Mayhem) a couple more times. By the time we were done, I was super excited for racing because I was comfortable on the whole course, and cleaned everything on Moose for the first time ever.

I was out and helping with my "in-law" team for the 10am race. In reality, I was scoring brownie points to guarantee myself a feed later!

We had 10 women in Senior Expert! I think the first thing I forgot about this course, is that you really need to go hard for that long double track opening. Since I hadn't raced in a month, it was just this weird "oh right, go fast, we're racing!" reaction. I was hanging onto the back of the pack, and was really having trouble moving up. I went into the single track pretty far near the back, and spent the first lap riding with Danielle and Christiane, sort of yo-yoing off the back and catching back on. I moved up to second wheel towards the end of the lap, and then took the lead when Christiane crashed in Moose Mayhem. Danielle was right with me, and very patiently rode behind me through Loam Rider. I can only imagine how annoying my wheel must be in tight single track, but she was kind enough to let me lead! She did, however, pass me shortly after we hit the double track! I drafted Danielle for a little bit, and decided that I wanted to up the pace a bit, and she would probably catch me in the single track before too long. At various points, I could see Elyse and Ali battling it out ahead, although I never managed to catch either of them. By lap 3, Danielle still hadn't caught me, and I rode a good hard lap to come in in 6th.

Not my best result this season, but I was definitely happy with how I rode!

1 comment:

Heather Shearer said...

Great race report! Makes me want to get out on my mountain bike...